Located on the N69, shortly after the entrance to Aughanish, it was known as ‘the university of the west’, preparing students for civil service exams etc.
It was opened to students in 1892, by the then parish priest, Canon James Mulqueen. The first teachers were Michael O’ Brien and his wife Margaret, who lived in the big house called Feltham, that stands beside the main road a few hundred meters westward from the school. They were succeeded by Michael Kelly and his sister from Glin. Later, a Tipperary man called Coleman, a Limerick man named O’Shea and a Clareman named Reidy, succeeded one another as principals.
Borrigone NS closed in 1970, at which time Paddy Hughes, Foynes was the teacher.
Information and photo from ‘The Barony of Shanid’ by T Culhane
Photos courtesy of Liam Dundon, Aughanish